You are here:   History > News from the Past & History by Tom Claiborn > News: 1972, 1976, 1971 & 1988
  |  Login

FEBRUARY NEWS: 1972, 1976, 1981 & 1988
Board Meeting, February 1972

President Larry Goe called this"Watergate year" February meeting to order, with the first order of buisiness being the organization of the "sunshine committee", which would be chaired by Pat Estes and Bonnie Bingisser. Ken Buchanan volunteered to set up the F.E.A.R. display at the upcoming car show in the Seattle Center coliseum, and fifty dollars was allocated for materials. Ben Estes would help with club history for the show display.Wayne Crum gave a summary of the recent track officials meeting. He reported that the pit gate would open at 5:30 p.m., and qualifying would have to conclude by 7:45, and any car that missed qualifying would not be allowed to run. Trophy dashes would be limited to one per division, heats to eight laps, and main events a maximum twenty-five laps in duration. The season's kick off dance would be at the fairgrounds, March 4th, at 8 p.m, with tickets going for six dollars per couple. Track promoter Bill Amick requested the track open on April 2nd, and F.E.A.R. member guest cards were on sale for five dollars.

General membership meeting: February, 1976

President Wayne Crum handled the order call for the Bi-Centenial year's February meeting. The F.E.A.R. treasury boasted funds of $605.46, and it was reported that a track promoter had yet to be named. Jack or Dave at Kirkland Big-O Tires were the contact people for Stock division tires, and the season's kick off dance would be held in the Fairgrounds 4H barn, March 27th, at 8p.m. with a featured spaghetti feed. April 11th was slated for the seson opener, with the track open both weekends prior for practice.

F.E.A.R. news: February 1981

The upcoming general meeting was scheduled for February 18th, 8 p.m., at the Seattle Jr. Hockey Club in Lynwood. Membership was a bargain at sixteen dollars,if renewed at the meeting. Figure-eight tires were available from either Mick Tomlin or Bennie Phillips. The F.E.A.R. auxiliary had scheduled a garage sale for March 25th&26th at the Totem Lake bingo hall from 9-4 p.m.. A kick-off dance was planned for late March, with details to be announced. Get well wishes were extended to Carl Zaretzke and Roger Stegall, and congratulations to Lee Daily and Rob Holden for thier first and third place car show awards. some great deals were to be had in the classifieds:
 '64 Pontiac Superstock: $900.00
 '60 Ford Superstock: $1800 (Mike Estabrook)
 '61 Chev Superstock: $1200 (Warren Cox)
  '65 Chevelle Stock: $1200 (Gordy Laugen)
 Ford top-loader 4-speed : $100.00

F.E.A.R. News:  February 1988

Members were invited to the general meeting at Bailey's restaurant in Bellevue, February 17th, at 8:30 p.m.. Membership renewals were discounted to twenty-five dollars if received on or before the meeting date. A new wider Big-O tire had been adopted for the season, and the pits were being re-located to inside the north corner of the 5/8 oval. The change would allow for the safe exit of traffic from the 3/8 oval. Thanks went out to Rick Hager for his entry in the car show, and the 1988 kick-off party would be held March 19th. Thanks for reading! F.E.AR. historian, Tom Claibourn